|MIDNIGHT, 5/21--Spider Lilies live, C'dave & Vampkat, Skycrafts vending, & more!
||[May. 18th, 2011|12:44 pm]
This week we're celebrating World Goth Day with a major bash. Come catch a live show by Spider Lilies, dancy DJ sets spun by Cheetahdave and Vampkat, vending by Skycrafts, and super drink specials. Oh, and some vociferous religious nutballs are--ahem--predicting that Saturday, May 21, will absolutely, positively be the Rapture and Judgment Day. So come out and party with all your gothic friends who'll also be "left behind"!|
SPIDER LILIES SHOW
When they last played for Midnight back in spring 2010, this Saturday's band, Spider Lilies (http://www.spiderliliesmusic.com) was a major hit. That was no surprise really, considering that its founder, Stacey Campbell, was a backup vocalist and guitar player for one of the scene's premiere musical acts, The Cruxshadows, for several years. Also a member of SL's current lineup is DJ Rift, who spins regularly for Midnight and Umlaut (http://www.clubumlaut.org) in Charlottesville . Don't miss this exciting electro/goth rock performance, which should begin around 11:30 or 12:00 a.m.
TWO HOT DJS
Most of the evening, both before and after Spider Lilies plays, will be devoted (as always) to highly danceable sets spun by:
* Cheetahdave began his DJ career in college and returned to the decks in 2006. The founder of XUBERX (http://www.myspace.com/xuberxnoise), he's been known to play everything from '80s and goth to punk, EBM, and industrial.
* Vampkat is one of the new generation of gothic/industrial scene DJs that Midnight has helped to train and turn loose upon the world. Always request friendly, she can be counted on to play lots of your favorite club hits, both old and new.
SKYCRAFTS & THE BAND WILL VEND
Unless you're seriously expecting to be Raptured off before cake time (in which case we're cutting you off at the bar), be sure to check out both the Spider Lilies merch table and the display by Skycrafts (http://www.skycrafts.net or http://www.etsy.com/shop/SkycraftsArt). The latter's proprietor, Tim, plans to bring us lots of new silkscreened shirts, plus his popular prints ("including the newest...from photographic work seen on facebook"), some framed. He also promises some great discount prices--T-shirts for $5.00-$6.00, prints for $5.00, and, a super bargain at $30.00 off the list web cost, framed art for only $50.00.
DRINK & FOOD SPECIALS
To help you celebrate the fact that the latest darkly forecast Judgment Day will be a bust, The Meeting Place is offering discount beverages all night. From 9:00 to 10:00 p.m., take advantage of the two-for-one deal. Purchase one qualifying beer or cocktail at full price during that period, and you're entitled to another of the same free any time prior to last call (around 2:45 a.m.). Afterwards, from 10:00 'til close, you can save with one of these bargains:
* $4.00 + tax -- all "rail drinks"
* $5.00 + tax -- all beers, imported & domestic, draft (17 oz.!) & bottled
* $5.00 + tax -- Bombay Sapphire cocktails
* $5.00 + tax -- Captain Morgans
* $6.00 + tax -- Grey Goose (all flavors)
* $6.00 + tax -- Jameson Irish Whiskey
TMP will also be serving up its house specialty, "black death shooters," all evening for $2.00.
Want food, too? TMP offers its full menu--newly expanded!--until about 1:30 a.m. Order anything from the appetizer list and you're entitled to a 20% discount off that item's list price.
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE...
* FREE "PRIEST" POSTERS -- We still have some posters for the new vampire flick "Priest" (http://priest-movie.net) available. Grab some while you can!
* FREE CAKE -- There'll be free pastry served following the band's performance. H.B. this week to Stacey and DJ Rift from Spider Lilies, plus Eleanor, Michael, Netta (we miss you!), Jessica, Jessica, Kit, Courtney, Angie, Ellie, Thom, Umbra, Christine, David, and JSun.
* ENTER THE DRAWING -- Around the same time as the cake distribution our DJs will pick the winners of the weekly drawing. This Saturday's prizes include DVDs, a recent God Module CD, and a $10.00 food coupon. Fill out one of the slips on our literature table, drop it into the nearby cauldron, and you're eligible.
* DISCOUNT ADMISSION -- Most places use band nights as a way to extract extra money from the customers, but not Midnight. As always, our cover will be a mere $5.00 this Saturday. And the usual discounts are also in force. The first dozen guests in line at opening enter free; and if you show your current high school (must be 18) or college (includes staff) ID at the cash table, you'll save $2.00.
Where better to spend World Goth Day (http://worldgothday.com) and Judgment Day (or not) than at Midnight? Descend into our darkened environs and party the evening away. With Spider Lilies, Skycrafts, our DJs, and lots more planned, it's "the" Saturday place to be!*
-- Scott & the Midnight crew
* And, as if all the above isn't enough to move you, the weather gurus are predicting NO rain for a change this Saturday evening...
OTHER EVENTS WORTH NOTING
Friday, May 20 -- Don't miss White Lies (http://www.myspace.com/whitelies) live at the 9:30 Club ( 815 V Street NW , Washington ) [http://www.930.com]
Thursday, May 26 -- The Clockwork Dolls perform live at Goth Prom, with Ego Likeness at Town Danceboutique ( 2009 8th Street NW , Washington ) [http://www.theclockworkdolls.com]
* Saturday, May 28 -- MIDNIGHT, with guest DJ Liebchen, Carsia's b'day, and more (see next week's mailing for full details!)
MIDNIGHT at The Meeting Place , 1707 L Street NW , Washington , D.C. (202-293-7755)
* now in our 9th year of operation
* 9:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. on Saturday nights
* bar is now open until 2:45 a.m.
* 1/2 block from the Farragut North Metro (subway) station
* ages 18 to dance, 21 to drink (you MUST show valid ID to enter)
* $5.00 cover, first 12 guests admitted free, other discounts weekly
By the freaks, for the freaks!
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org